Tuesday

Live Interaction






For my live interaction I toured historic Fort Conde in Mobile, AL, while I was in L.A. for our state tennis tournament. It was a great place to visit. I got to walk around the fort and learn about its involvement in the Civil War, which wasn't too too much, but it was interesting. I talked to several people that worked at Ft. Conde and asked some questions that gave me some insight into the history of the fort. I also learned a lot about the city of Mobile and also some of the other more involved forts, like Ft. Morgan and Ft. Gaines, in the area. It was a nice and informative little trip.


I really enjoyed getting to tour Ft. Conde and talk to some of the people that worked there (this included the gift shop lady, who surprisingly knew the most). I found out a lot about the Battle of Mobile Bay and how important it was in the course of the naval war. Fort Gaines was the site of Union Admiral David Faragut's charge and famous quote , "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!", at the battle for the bay. I also learned that Mobile was one of the last Confederate strongholds on the Gulf in 1864, so after it fell, so came the inevitable fall of the South. The seas were the last of the South to succumb to Union power, all but the capital city Richmond, and battles in Mobile were a main part of that.
My visit to Mobile was interesting and very informative. It revealed the whole thought of the naval warfare during the Civil War to me and showed how important it was to both the North and the South. I had a great time seeing Ft. Conde and uncovering much of the history of the battles of Mobile.




1 comment:

  1. nice job. I've been to fort morgan a lot, but never Ft. Conde.

    Late -20
    60/80

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Background